I read a piece where a dreadful argument was made in the name of Mr. Deming, as in W. Edwards Deming. His ideas, called total quality management, were compacted and trivialized into mindless jargon and contrary use from what he intended. He was the guy who said “Cease dependence on inspection to achieve quality. Eliminate the need for inspection on a mass basis by building quality into the product in the first place.” Boy have we taught HIM a lesson! American Medicine is a performance art piece giving Deming the finger for his ideas. Inspection IS the purpose of production – the end-user or consumer is irrelevant! We work for the Lord of the Clipboard
We are the cogs of Taylor, of Ford and of Aldous Huxley, all of whom were familiar with this romance of Modernism with Fascism. Read Brave New World – it was an essay thinly papered over as a novel. Nowadays, we’ve even got Soma on the formulary!
Today’s vision is – “Towards the happy consensus of all.” We will achieve it!
here are Demings 14 points of production – chopped up to change the count a bit:
- Create constancy of purpose toward improvement of product and service, with the aim to become competitive and to stay in business, and to provide jobs.
- Adopt the new philosophy. We are in a new economic age. Western management must awaken to the challenge, must learn their responsibilities, and take on leadership for change.
- Cease dependence on inspection to achieve quality. Eliminate the need for inspection on a mass basis by building quality into the product in the first place.
- End the practice of awarding business on the basis of price tag. Instead, minimize total cost. Move toward a single supplier for any one item, on a long-term relationship of loyalty and trust.
- Improve constantly and forever the system of production and service, to improve quality and productivity, and thus constantly decrease costs.
- Institute training on the job.
- Institute leadership. The aim of supervision should be to help people and machines and gadgets to do a better job. Supervision of management is in need of overhaul, as well as supervision of production workers.
- Drive out fear, so that everyone may work effectively for the company.
- Break down barriers between departments. People in research, design, sales, and production must work as a team, to foresee problems of production and in use that may be encountered with the product or service.
- Eliminate slogans, exhortations, and targets for the work force asking for zero defects and new levels of productivity. Such exhortations only create adversarial relationships, as the bulk of the causes of low quality and low productivity belong to the system and thus lie beyond the power of the work force.
- Eliminate work standards (quotas) on the factory floor. Substitute leadership.
- Eliminate management by objective. Eliminate management by numbers, numerical goals. Substitute leadership.
- Remove barriers that rob the hourly worker of his right to pride of workmanship. The responsibility of supervisors must be changed from sheer numbers to quality.
- Remove barriers that rob people in management and in engineering of their right to pride of workmanship. This means, inter alia, abolishment of the annual or merit rating and of management by objective.
- Institute a vigorous program of education and self-improvement.
- Put everybody in the company to work to accomplish the transformation. The transformation is everybody’s job.
Has anyone seen any of the jargon-spouting brownshirt Chumleys that claim to be innovating us into hell, say these things?